Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Capture/Reflection/Teach Something 2 - Capture 9/21/2010

Today I taught about the basics of photography, pertaining specifically to ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. Twelve minutes is tough. There is so much to talk about with the three said subtopics, and even though I tried hard to keep it basic and simple I ran out of time just barely too early. I enjoy photography and love sharing the little knowledge I have about it because I believe it's a useful tool that all should have a basic understanding. So as I taught about the basics of ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture I found it very difficult to not just ramble on.

Though I had a Powerpoint I worked really hard today in my lesson to ask questions and stimulate interaction. As I explained the said principles, I then would ask one to multiple questions to the students to clarify, expound, or merely provide feedback on the specific principle. Though I had visual aids, I struggled to bring focus and attention to the students on them as I struggled to cover the material in the given time frame. That, I believe, was a big mistake on my part. Visuals when teaching anything can be ideal if not crucial; photography falling into the crucial category. If I were to reteach I would need to structure and organize my time better, utilizing the visuals into my teaching better.

Though I evaluated a lot throughout the lesson, I am bummed that I was unable to get to my final evaluation and assessment which would have helped me to better understand the students overall understanding of the subject matter. Despite my errors I do feel however that my students were able to understand the key components of a camera, namely ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. Specifically I felt that I was able to help Evan as he was the only one in the group with little or no background in photography; which as a teacher is my goal in helping all in the class come to an understanding of the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment