Friday, September 17, 2010

Capture/Reflection 2 - 9/16/2010

In reflection of this past week I learned an overwhelming amount of information. actually, correct me, I'm striving to learn an overwhelming amount. While speaking and learning about educational philosophers I particularly enjoyed Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences. I have always known there were different ways of learning, but never the specifics or theories of what those different categories were. I also enjoyed trying to identify the different ways I learn well as well as the different ways in which I struggle.

Other great informative keys given during class were the keys of a good teacher. (1) Know the content; (2) Objective based lessons; (3) Expect more -focus on growth; (4) Engaging Environment; (5) High Trust in the students; (6) Use assessments/evaluations. In preparations as well as developing confidence, I found these keys very beneficial and helpful.

A particular quote I enjoyed was, "Good teachers create an environment where they are passionate about discovery." I'm not sure who that was, but it made me think. Am I passionate about teaching; about the subject matter? How can I be that kind of a teacher?

There were many other great and interesting things taught in class as well as what I read from WONG, but I'm not going to sum up everything. Lastly though I did enjoy our class discussion about moral dimensions. This thought as often come to me and I've wondered how I can directly and indirectly have such an influence on my students. I did not know the specific do's and don'ts, but one of the main reasons I want to teach is because of the impact I know I can have on the students; beyond the classroom. I have been greatly influenced in my past and hope to have such an impact on others in the future, and I know that high morals will be a tremendous factor in doing such.

No comments:

Post a Comment