Friday, September 17, 2010

Teach Something 1 Reflection 9/7/2010

I attempted to teach the class about Human Etiquette in Bear Country. For five summers I worked at a wildlife observatory in Alaska called Anan Creek. It was here where I learned proper human etiquette while in bear country. I briefly touched on the importance of maintaining self discipline and regulation with food, in reference to hiking and camping. Second point made was about the importance of hiking or camping in groups to provide added security and safety. Third was the importance of making noise while hiking through bear country to reduce bear encounters and eliminate surprise encounters all together. Lastly was what to do if one were to have a bear encounter; proper attitude and actions to hopefully prevent encounters from escalating to the point of injury or death.

I do admit I was highly disappointed with my teaching. Nervous? Yes, but the information is nothing new to me, rather the situational teaching experience was. I knew I needed class participation to help make the lesson more interesting, yet I forgot all together to do so by not asking questions or opening up opportunities for the students to comment. It was a great learning experience for myself in what further I can do to prepare and how to better deliver the subject matter. I can now only hope to take this experience and learn from it in an effort to improve and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment