Monday, November 15, 2010

Capture/Reflection 10 - 11/16/2010

I found much of what I read from the book very fascinating! What seemed to really catch my attention was the importance of homework. Now I plan to teach middle school and or high school, preferable high school so much of what I read I feel directly applies to me and my understanding and preparation toward homework. According to a studies done by Cooper, homework only has a great effect on students of a certain age. He says that homework really only begins to have positive effects about sixth grade and in high school as teachers give well thought out homework it can jump up percentile gain by as much as 30 percent. As I'm learning about this now I can only imagine how much I would have appreciated knowing this while I was in high school. I won't lie, my high school was lame and absolutely easy. I remember getting homework and often thinking, how is this to help; why do they give us this? I'm sure I'm not the only one tho have these thoughts and feelings while in attendance at school. I feel the same way still at times, especially when I sit back to do my capture/reflections for this class. Though those thoughts have crossed my mind I feel more motivated now than ever as I see numbers and associated with homework. Cooper specifically talks well thought out homework though. He states that there are two types of homework that we can give our students, the kind that designed to prepare the students and the kind that provide opportunities for practice. Homework should fit within one of these two categories and then there should be a grade value or a mode of following up. As I look at my own experiences that makes complete sense because I know that I am one that if there isn't a grade I will most likely not do it, or at least not put forward a full effort. This chapter gave me a better understanding and realization for toward the importance of homework. In the future as I go to assign homework I will better understand how I can help my students achieve greater understanding and success in their learning's.

No comments:

Post a Comment