Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Capture/Reflection 6 - 10/13/2010

This week in class we began our third round of teaching. I myself did not teach today, but a few others did. That which was taught I found to be very fascinating and then later I found myself sharing that which I learned with others. Of the five lessons taught the other day they all had a basic theme, that being medical technologies. Jessica taught us about neuron-technologies (technologies directly related to the brain). This particular lesson I found very fascinating, much to the fact that I was unaware of the advancements being made in relation to neuron technology. The particular part of the lesson though that helped me instill the material taught was the activity where we discussed moral and ethical pros and cons on the brain technologies. Many agreed that there are great moral and ethical benefits to be had with such technology, though with any good there is always the bad. The real question we all faced was how can such power be controlled? Or, another question in the effect though, is it worth it? In reflection to the lesson I feel like I learned much more then the above mentioned material, rather I learned hands on and in observation the learning taking place through a well executed activity. For the given subject, a discussion of pros and cons caused discussion and reflection which produced cognitive evaluation of material and personal views (emotion). The said activity helped a learner like myself (analyst) to better grasp the material through discussion and a voiced opinion. Now this particular activity won’t work for all subjects or every lesson, but the real lesson I captured and reflected upon was the idea of a well thought out and applied activity to enhance and further learning in the classroom. Now there were a lot of other great things taught the other day in class, but in particular reflection the teaching tool within an activity stood out clear.

Also in reflection of the week was the practice tutorials for the TSA we intend to take tomorrow. Now for all the multi-media savvy individuals in the class this may seem pointless and simple, but for someone like myself who doesn’t use computers as much or understand them as well, I proceeded to go through the tutorials in preparation for the test. In doing such I learned a lot, and too be honest may or may not have learned all that I’ll need to know for the tests, but I feel better prepared and confident with myself by taking the time to go through and make sure I can do the following tasks needed to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment